Greentree School Council
Our school council plays a vital role in our school community. There are many ways to participate, as there are many exciting events throughout the year. For the most up to date information about events and School Council news you can do any of the following:
- Visit the Facebook page here
Join the remind app. Get messages instantly on your mobile phone or by email. Go to the following link in your browser: Click here.
You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
A school council is a vehicle to support meaningful parental involvement in decisions that affect the school and its operations. School council provides the venue for parents to reflect the wishes of the broader community for the education of its students and to actively participate in giving advice and support to the principal in the operations of the school.
The actual decision-making authority of the school council is limited to:
- setting policies to govern school council activities at the school level, as described in the School Act,
- planning support activities that align with school council‘s purpose and
- choosing which advice to provide the principal and board on areas that specifically fall to them.
A school council should review its mission, vision and goals annually to ensure it reflects the views of the current membership.
Other school council functions may include:
- consulting with the principal so he or she can ensure students have opportunities to meet Ministry standards, fiscal management is sound and the community‘s expectations are taken into consideration during school-based planning.
- being involved in school-based planning
- sharing ideas and information with other school councils and provincial organizations
- communicating information to the school community and other school councils
- setting policies that relate to school council functions, such as:
- location of school council meetings
- mailing address for school council correspondence
- school council orientation and development policy
- financial policy
- fundraising policy
- communications policy
- minutes of school council meetings
- pertinent information unique to the school council.
What School Councils are Not
It is important to be mindful that, as with all partners in education, there are limits to the work that can be done by a school council. Roles that are not to be taken on by a school council include:
- school governance
- employment issues
- school management
- listening to complaints
It is not the primary role of school councils to:
- Chair - Tina Hodgson
- Vice-Chair - Kassandra Russell
- Secretary - Tania Johnson
- Treasurer - Jennifer Greene
- Principal - Shelley Friesen
- Breakfast Program Coordinator - Angela McLellan
- Hot Lunch Coordinator - Kassandra Russell
Click the button below to visit our School Council Facebook page!