Dear Parents/Guardians of students of Greentree School,
RE: Notice of COVID-19 to Staff, Students and Visitors in a School Setting
Two or more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed at Greentree School. The Medical Officer of Health has requested Alberta Health Services (AHS) Public Health staff initiate an investigation. This investigation will determine who may have been exposed at your school to cases of COVID-19 during their infectious period.
The virus is passed from person to person through tiny droplets of liquid, spread by coughing, sneezing, talking, laughing and singing. This means that a person would need to have direct contact with droplets from a sick person or contaminated surfaces to be exposed to the virus. The risk of the general population in the school becoming infected because of these cases is low.
If staff or students have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, they will be notified via phone, email, or mail by either AHS or the school as per routine communication processes.
- If staff or students have not been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case but develop symptoms as listed on the the COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist please isolate at home and complete the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment tool or call Health Link at 811 as soon as possible to arrange for COVID-19 testing.
- If you or your child require medical attention, please call ahead to your health care provider or call Health Link at 811 to help guide you to the right care provider and make appropriate arrangements to care for yourself or your child safely.
- If you or your child require urgent attention, call 911 and tell them that you or your child may have been in contact with COVID-19 so that they can make appropriate arrangements to care for you or your child safely.
To help minimize the spread of any respiratory virus we always recommend the following:
- Make sure everyone in your household washes their hands with soap and water often. If soap and water are not available, you can use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if hands are not visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw it in a garbage bin lined with a plastic bag. Wash your hands immediately after that. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve.
- Stay home if you’re sick. If your kids are sick, keep them home from school.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are touched often and shared by everyone in your home such as door knobs, light switches and bathroom taps.
- Practice physical distancing outside the home (at least 2 metres) and wear a mask in public spaces if physical distancing is not possible.
- Ensure your child’s immunizations are up to date, including their annual influenza immunization.
For further information regarding COVID-19, please call Health Link at 811, and/or visit the Alberta Health Services website for COVID-19.
Communicable Disease Control